What is Wycombe Arts Centre?
… the name of the collaborative arts centre based at the former St John’s Church buildings in High Wycombe Town Centre on Desborough Road.
… a set of unique ‘for hire’ spaces that we call the Cafe Space and old church Theatre Space (amazing Grade 2 listed building), specialising in alternative arts events.
… an open collective of local people getting inspired by creativity; local musicians, artists, theatre and more!
… the brand name of Wycombe Community Arts Centre Ltd, the charity established to manage the centre. (LImited by guarantee, registered charity No. 1136161).
… was previously named ‘Arts4Every1’ since inception in 2009, it transformed in spring 2018 through local independent sponsorship. We are funded by our events and hires, run mainly by volunteers, and supported by Wycombe District Council who own the buildings.
- Provide an Arts Centre that is welcoming, whether visitors come to see, listen, perform, participate, learn, or just to relax and enjoy.
- Present a range of accesible quality entertainment including music, theatre, dance, spoken word, paint jams, family events, comedy, film screenings and other participatory activities.
- Provide support & activities for both professional and amateur creative communities based in South Bucks, Berks etc (target within 10 miles of Wycombe).
- Create a variety of ways for the public to participate in learning opportunities– classes and workshops for children, young people and adults, and with working opportunities- through volunteering/ work experience programmes and outreach projects.
- To take work and presence out of Desborough and Wycombe and into much wider communites by implementing a creative network.
- To build support and enthusiasm for Wycombe Arts Centre in crossover sectors and make positive connections.
- Engage visitors, customers, staff and volunteers to ensure constant friendly and efficient service.
- Generate constant fundraising efforts: individual giving, membership, project opportunities, corporate sponsorships and outside Grants (eg Arts Council) to support the venues and arts projects.
- Ensure that the buildings, grounds and services are maintained to a high standard.
- Manage the activities and finances of Wycombe Arts Centre to ensure long-term sustainability and future growth.
Any thoughts? Can you help us? get in touch.
High Wycombe is halfway between London and Oxford in Bucks, nestled around the River Wye in The Chiltern Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. These semi-rural surroundings have a long history of skilled workers and talented makers within industry.
Wycombe was a market trading town initially, famous for all the Mills manufacturing paper and flour etc, then came our amazing furniture industry for the industrial revolution, and later incredible war efforts- Did you know? Wycombe factories made over 8,500 Mosquito airplanes for the war effort in the late 1940’s!
The skilled workers and craftspeople are still around today, we just have other creative, service and manufacturing industries driving us forward. From a rich heritage to award-winning artists and pop cultural icons, High Wycombe is not just a place to pass through!
For more info on the town, visit South East England tourist website
When are we open?
Sorry, this is not an Arts Centre where you can just walk in!
As a series of spaces for hire, you will need to come to a club meet, organised event or workshop.
We are however working to be able to open our Cafe Space to the public every friday and saturday.
Watch this space.
Where can I park?
We have a dozen parking spaces in front of our 2 main spaces, inside the railings. These are for our staff, customers and service users.
However, as we are only a 3-4 minute walk from Wycombe Bus Station we recommend you use public transport. If you have to drive, please use parking at Eden Shopping Centre, near House of Fraser for convenience.
Can I hire the spaces?
Sure, that’s how it works! We’ll work with you to organise your event.
Events, festivals, weddings, parties, you name it.
We even have an in-house specialist for kids parties:
Learn more about hiring our spaces here