Wycombe Arts Centre is…
… the name of the collaborative arts centre based at the former St John’s Church buildings in High Wycombe Town Centre on Desborough Road.
… a set of unique ‘for hire’ spaces that we call the Cafe Space and the old church Theatre Space (an amazing Grade 2 listed building), specialising in alternative arts events.
… an open collective of local people who are inspired by creativity, including musicians, artists, theatre groups and more!
… the brand name of Wycombe Community Arts Centre Ltd, the charity established to manage the centre (Limited by guarantee, registered charity No. 1136161).
… supported by local independent sponsorship that led to a name change in 2018 after being ‘Arts4Every1’ since inception in 2009.
… funded by events and hires, run mainly by volunteers and supported by Buckinghamshire Council, who own the buildings.
Our goal is to offer a wide range of quality artistic events and participatory opportunities for artists, writers, musicians, actors, dancers and other creatives in the local area. We do this by:
- Providing a welcoming arts centre for all visitors.
- Presenting accesible, quality entertainment including music, theatre, dance, spoken word, paint jams, family events, comedy, film screenings more.
- Providing support and activities for professional and amateur creative communities in and around High Wycombe.
- Creating participatory learning opportunities for the general public, including classes and workshops for children, young people and adults, as well as opportunities through volunteering/ work experience programmes and outreach projects.
- Implementing a creative network, exposing Wycombe’s creatives to much wider communites.
- Making positive connections, building support and enthusiasm for Wycombe Arts Centre.
- Engaging visitors, customers, staff and volunteers to ensure constant friendly and efficient service.
- Fundraising including individual giving, memberships, project opportunities, corporate sponsorships and outside grants (e.g. Arts Council).
- Maintaining the buildings, grounds and services to a high standard.
- Ensuring long-term sustainability and future growth by managing activities and finances.
Think you can you help? We’d love to hear from you!
High Wycombe is a market town in Buckinghamshire, halfway between London and Oxford. Nestled alongside the River Wye in The Chiltern Hills — an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty — its semi-rural surroundings have inspired a rich history of skilled workers and talented makers.
Wycombe was first famous for its Mills manufacturing paper and flour, until the industrial revolution led to the town becoming famous for its thriving furniture industry. Later on, during the early half of the 20th century, Wycombe’s factories made over 8,500 Mosquitos for the RAF, while nearby Hughenden housed dozens of top-secret map-makers.
The skilled workers and craftspeople are still around today — we just have different industries driving us forward. We’re very much aware of our rich heritage of award-winning artists and pop cultural icons, and we’re proud to showcase some of the newest and freshest talent that High Wycombe has to offer.
For more info on the town, visit the South East England tourist website.
Painting by Jan Gaska
Our opening times vary depending upon what events we have on, so please view our events listings to find out more.
Alternatively, get in touch with us to find out more if you have specific queries about availability.
We have a dozen parking spaces on-site for staff, customers and service users. These are contained within our railings and the gates are locked between events.
As we’re only a 3-4 minute walk from Wycombe Bus Station, we recommend using public transport if possible. If you do plan to drive, alternative parking is also available at Eden Shopping Centre, near House of Fraser.
Making a Hire
We’ll be more than happy to work with you to organise and host your event.
As well as our regular arts events, we’re available for festivals, birthday parties, weddings and more. We even have an in-house specialist for kids’ parties: